I like to think I trust God. I say that I do. When situations arise, do I believe Him the way I claim?
I am a worry wart.
I used to believe that I did not struggle with anxiety because panic attacks were not a normal experience for me, but I do.
Needing to be in control, overanalyzing situations, and being paralyzed by perfectionism are all outward signs of an inward battle with anxiety.
Recently, it reared its head when God asked me to step out of my comfort zone to follow Him into unknown territory. What if I fail? What if people disapprove of my decision? What if I make the wrong choice?
I am afraid and some days my mind feels consumed with doubt.
It’s in those moments that I have to choose to remind myself of who God is and what He says.
He is faithful. He is enough. He is with me.
A mentor in high school once told me, “Keep inviting God in everyday and live by what you know His word says and not by what you feel.”
These seven verses are ones I read in the waves of worry and doubt to remind myself who God is and what He promises:
1. “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discourages, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10
2. “So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time He will lift you up in honor. Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares for you.” – 1 Peter 5:6-7
3. “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7
4. “When doubts filled my mind, Your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.” – Psalm 94:19
5. “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life – whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you fare more valuable to Him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, He will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? So don’t worry about these things saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need.” – Matthew 6:25-33
6. “Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take.” – Proverbs 3:5-6
7. “You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in You, all whose thoughts are fixed on You!” – Isaiah 26:3
Encouragement. Faith. Music. Community.
Delivered weekly to your inbox.