Truths About God To Calm Your Anxious Thoughts
“God doesn’t care about you or your problems. God performs miracles for others, but He won’t do that for you. God isn’t going to answer your prayers. Stop trying.”
All of the above statements are lies, but have you ever been tempted to buy into them? When we’re feeling down, defeated, and discouraged is when Satan will feed us lies about God and His promises to us.
He did it to Eve in the garden:
“2 The woman said, ‘We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’
‘You will not certainly die,’ the serpent said to the woman. 5 ‘For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.'” (Genesis 3:2-5)
He even tried it on Jesus after His forty days in the wilderness:
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 ‘All this I will give you,’ he said, ‘if you will bow down and worship me.’ 10 Jesus said to him, ‘Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’[e]” (Matthew 4:8-10)
So, what makes us think that the enemy won’t try the same things on us?
Fortunately, we have God on our side and God’s character isn’t dependent on our mindset. The key to knowing God’s character is to turn to His Word and repeat the Truth to ourselves as long as it takes, even when it’s a struggle for us to believe it.
Here are a few truths about God to cling to when times are tough:
- “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” – Luke 12:6-8
- “This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.” – 1 John 4:9-10
- “You are the God who works wonders; you have made known your might among the peoples.” – Psalm 77:14
- “The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” – Psalm 34:17-18
- “The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him” – Nahum 1:7