The Secret School Pizza Recipe
Picture this: You’re a kid again, back in elementary school, and it’s lunch time.
You take a look at the menu as you walk into the cafeteria and see…
It’s pizza day! Cue your happy dance!
We remember absolutely loving pizza day at school. There was nothing like that cheesy, rectangular goodness as a 10-year-old.
We’re not sure it would still be as delicious today. But now, you can make it for yourself, and find out!
Here’s the Secret School Pizza recipe, from a cafeteria worker named Gannie:
Gannie’s School Pizza Recipe
- 2 ⅔ flour
- ¾ cup powdered milk
- 2 T sugar
- 1 packet of quick rise yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ⅔ cup warm water (105-110 degrees)
- 2 T vegetable oil
- ½ pound ground chuck
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 8oz block mozzarella cheese – grated yourself (To be authentic school pizza, you will have to use imitation mozzarella shreds.)
Sauce (I make sauce the day before):
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- ½ tbsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried rosemary crushed
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Spray pan with Pam and lay Parchment paper down (Pam makes it stick)
- In a large bowl – flour, powdered milk, sugar, yeast, salt – whisk to blend
- Add oil to hot water (110-115 degrees) – pour into your mixture
- Stir with a wooden spoon until batter forms – don’t worry about lumps – you just want no dry spots
- Spread dough into pan using fingertips until it’s even. If dough doesn’t want to cooperate, let rest 5 minutes and try again NOTE: Bake just the crust for 8-10 minutes – remove from oven and set aside.
- Brown meats until it resembles crumbles – set aside and drain meat
- Get out the pizza sauce – to partially baked crust, assemble:
- Sauce – spread all over crust
- Sprinkle meats
- Sprinkle cheese
- Bake at 475 degrees for 8-10 minutes until cheese melts and begins to brown
- Remove from oven – let stand 5 minutes
- Cut in slices and serve!
Recipe and images from SchoolPizzaRecipe.com