Governor Hogan Announces Closing Of Restaurants, Gyms, And More Starting At 5 p.m.
In a press conference at 11 a.m., Governor Hogan announced increased efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus in Maryland. The updates include the closing of restaurants, bars, movie theaters, and gyms at 5 p.m. today.
People will still have access to food delivery and carry-out services, and some drive-thrus will remain open.
Other updates provided in the press conference are as follows:
- A ban on gatherings of over 50 people
- Grocers, gas stations, banks, and pharmacies will remain open
- Allowing out-of-state doctors to practice in Maryland
- Addition of more hospital beds
- Prohibiting utility companies from charging late fees and shutting off residential customers
- Providing three meals and one snack a day to students
- During the State of Emergency, evictions are illegal
- Activation of 1,000 National Guardsmen
Above all, Governor Hogan is urging people to take these rules as seriously as possible; he specifically quoted Dr. Anthony Fauci by saying, “if you think you’re overreacting, you’re doing the right thing. Americans should be prepared to hunker down significantly more than we as a country are doing in order to fight this outbreak.”
Gov Larry Hogan orders closing of bars, restaurants, gyms, theatres as of 5pm today in Maryland pic.twitter.com/LbSw4p4dMj— Jayne Miller (@jemillerwbal) March 16, 2020